Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Happy Birthday to Me!

When you teach little ones, birthdays and holidays are of utmost importance.  They are also terrible at keeping secrets!  Last week, they began planning the "best surprise ever" for me.  Of course, with in a few minutes I could figure out what they were up to, but of course I acted like I knew, saw, or heard nothing.  I knew my teammate was in on it as she asked to have our students share quiet time in her room the other day, from which I was called to meet with someone. I figured they were up to the usual cards, pictures, and "I love you" messages.  When they returned, I heard about an egg hunt and a "surprise she'll never guess".

Today, I walked into a decorated classroom (thank you co-workers), was presented with a homemade crown, and had a pile of cards to open.

 During the start of the day, after begging and pleading from 18 beaming faces, I allowed them time to "finish their surprise".  Of course hearing and seeing what they were doing was really awesome.  The way they collaborated, delegated and made choices together. I saw students taking the lead, organizing (in a kindergarten fashion), and including others.  I saw how much they had grown socially.  As they hid all the paper eggs around the room, I sat with my eyes "covered" beaming with pride that they could all come together for a joint cause, without an adult facilitating it.  Of course the egg hunt was awesome.  (They did not know that every year it is what I look forward to most with my family.  Even if I am the only one in the family that still hunts for them, I'm okay with it.  Knowing I'll be missing Easter this year with my family, it made this even more special.)  They could not wait to "help me find" all the eggs.

Later, I was serenaded by multiple staff (including principal and secretaries) during our snack time.  Talk about being embarrassed and overwhelmed.  Of course my students quickly chimed in with the usual, "Are you one? Are you two? Are you three?" song.  Of course by the time they got to 20 they were less enthusiastic, but they continued on counting.  When they finally got to my age, which to their disbelief was not 45 or 72 or 99, they told me I was too old.  Gee, thanks for the reminders kids!  As snack finished, my teammate (who is beyond fabulous), comes in with her iPad and asked everyone to come over for the surprise. The iMovie begins to play, with the title being, "Why We Love Ms. Brown!"  Of the course of the past few days, she would leave lunch early or ask to have a student come in for something or would pull them during recess or rest (our classrooms connect) and recorded with each of them why they love me.  I teared up.  Seeing and hearing their cute reasons just made me realize even more how much what I do matters.  Nothing melts your heart faster than those sweet innocent faces telling you what they love - I read the best books ever, or I always give them a hug, even if it is just because I let them have play centers outside.

I know I love those kids dearly, but after hearing all those reasons, I want them to know how much I care about them!  I tell them all the time how proud I am and just chat with them, but hearing what makes me special to them, makes me want to tell them what makes them special to me.  Needless to say, Friday morning, they will have their own Easter egg to find around the room, with a note saying what I love about them.  I hope they smile as much as they made me smile today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment