Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Sometimes it's just one of those days...

We've all had them - one of those days, one of those weeks, where it seems like nothing is going our way.  Just when we think we will catch a break, something else happens.  It's just like the book Alexander and the Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day By Judith Voigt.  Alexander thinks nothing is going his way and nothing could be worse, but worse keeps happening.  I have found myself in one of those long weeks this past week.  In the moment I am just trying to "survive".  I was overwhelmed and burdoned and just needed a break.

Luckily the days pass and there is something that does change our perspective.  Something happens that makes us realize, "ahh, it's not that bad" or "Ahh, I can do this."  For me, it was a note that a student wrote to me on Friday in their beautiful kindergarten handwriting full of hearts, butterflies, and rainbows.  The note she had so ever carefully tucked behind my leg as she ran to her seat to patiently wait for me to see it.  Thankfully their "stealth mode" is rather obvious and I was able to play into it, or so I thought.  I opened the note to see "Ms Brown i stil luv u" written across it. As she saw me open it, she ran over and said, "It's okay if you're having a bad idea" and gave me a big hug.  With a tear in my eye I thanked her.  I thanked her because it was that card, that simple gesture that changed my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day around.  Her simple heartfelt words made me realize that as stressful as things get, it's okay to have a bad day.

Have you ever had one of those days?  How did a student change it around for you?

4 comments:

  1. Hayley - of course we all have those days! I feel like they come more frequently this time of year, when we're getting very sick of being stuck inside, content is getting tough, and March has no days off! It's unbelievably how resilient teachers and students are in those stressful times. It also always amazes me how keenly aware our students are of our moods, even when we try our best not to show them. I have kids come up to me all the time to say "Are you in a bad mood Ms. Coletti?" and then I feel bad for letting them know. But you're right, everyone has those days (just like Alexander, one of my favorites by the way!) and it's okay to have a day like that, as long as you can start fresh tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have had those days and weeks. I think it is really ironic how these young minds are so in tuned to adult emotions. This little girl must have sensed the way you were feeling and wanted to fix your problems. I had a similar situation last week actually. The stress of this grad semester coming to a close and the school year ending is literally keeping me awake at night. I feel overwhelmed, and like Lisa mentioned, content is getting tough and students are sick of being stuck inside. It was just rough all around and the stress of the week was written on my face. One of my first graders drew me a picture that said "Ms. Scully is the bestest teacher. I wish I could have her in 2nd grade. I wish I could have her every year!" It made my week and maybe even my year! I became a teacher to help my students change the world. I remain a teacher because they make my world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I hate when I have days like yours, sometimes I wish I could just hit a restart/refresh button and have the day pass by. I actually had a day like that today, a day where it feels like nothing will go right. I love how your student understood you were not having the best of days and made an adorable gesture. What a great reminder of why we do what we do. Sometimes the littlest things can make a big difference, as shown in your students' note to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those moments that you have with your students like the one you were talking about makes everything worthwhile! There will always be good days and bad days, bad weeks in fact with all the craziness us teachers have going on in our professional lives and our personal lives. It's nice to know that even with everything going on, you still have a classroom of children who love you no matter what...at least most of the time : )

    ReplyDelete